Wednesday 17 July 2013

Finding your Creativity and Inspiration

These last couple of weeks I have been focussing on planning and and targets and sticking to my 'day plan' and getting through my 'to-do' list! I really want to move forward in business and get the most out of my time, and as I was really lacking in the planning and target setting areas I thought this should be something to focus on. So I have, and it's been working! I have managed to achieve my targets each day really carefully planning my time and then pushing myself to sticking to my plan! I have even posted an update on Facebook of my planning as I was particularly proud of myself!
(feel free to email me about having a look at my planning documents! They have been very helpful!)



Although halfway through that day I started feeling veery fidgety! I knew I had to sit down and finish what I was doing so I could meet my target but it seems that my body physically didn't want to do it! I did however enforce some self control and finished what I had to do. And yes, I did meet my target (thank you very much!).

This morning as I was getting ready to go for my morning walk - which is a one hour walk around the area I live from 7-8, ensuring I am back home and ready to work by 9! My walking partner (my mom!) suggested we walk somewhere different. My first thought was - what about my day plan?! If I went somewhere different it would definitely take much longer and I wouldn't be ready to work by 9. But I ignored that thought and went for a beautiful walk along Leckhampton Hill. 

It was such a beautiful walk! The sun was shining and there were wild flowers growing everywhere and so many butterflies! Not to mention the breathtaking view of Cheltenham.. I suddenly got really excited about taking photographs! I was longing to do a shoot right there and then, it would've been so perfect! Then I started thinking, when am I going to get to take some photo's? I have no shoots booked until August!

I then started thinking how weird it was that since starting a photography business I seem to be taking less photographs! I spend most of my time sat in front of my computer making spreadsheets or documents. Replying to emails, composing emails. Putting together newsletters and advertising campaigns. Working on my website, updating my social media profiles, finding the new social media sights and on and on and on! Every so often I then get to do a photo shoot! 

I know that all this admin work needs to be done and I need to be constantly improving the building the business and advertising to get clients, but surely there must be a balance! I am a highly creative person, although I have been trained very well for all these admin tasks and like to think I do well in that also. But I would much rather be creating something or doing something involving capturing some kind of beauty or moment! I love to paint and draw. I love making cakes! I love to listen to music and to play music, I love to sing! Of course I love taking photographs and I love to explore new places. I do be quite honest, I think I need these things to do what I do! But after my walk this morning I realised I have neglected these things in favour of the admin work. For some reason it seems more important! Sometimes I feel that if I'm enjoying something it can't be work, and so can't be productive! There is this strange mindset that work has to be hard and boring and draining and you have no right to have fun during work time! Or is it just me?

So before I ramble for way to long, here is the point to my random little story!
I have a highly creative job, which suits me as I am a highly creative person! However, if I neglect my creativity and and the things that cause me to be creative, I am not going to do my job well! 

The admin jobs I do are very important, and my business could not run properly if I didn't focus my time and energy on these jobs. BUT finding my creativity is just as important! I need to do things that inspire me DAILY. I need to be taking photographs DAILY. And it is perfectly okay for me to do these things during 'working hours'! 

I love my job, and would not want to do anything else! So I have decided to add these inspiring activities to my week/day plan :) If you are a photographer or have a highly creative job, I would like to encourage you to do the same! Do something each day that inspires you and that gets your creative juices flowing! Go out and take some photographs just for fun! Try a new technique, discover a new location! Do something you have never done before :) And watch your business and your skills grow and flourish! 

I hope this helps, now go and Enjoy this Beautiful Day!







Subscribe to Posts by Email

Enter Email:






Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter


No comments:

Post a Comment